Due to the nature of things an Ouran High School Host Club Cosplay has to be elegant. If you need a little help in this department then you’ve come to the right place.
We have the tools and information that you need to act just like one of the elegant members of this illustrious organization.
A typical day at the Ouran High School Host Club is anything but typical.
Powerful engines bring people to and fro. Black magic disrupts tea parties.
It seems that anything can and will happen whenever the idle wealthy sit down to enjoy pastries and pie. Perhaps that’s why so many people want to become like the regular students of this organization.
After all, it’s quite an escape from the real world. Some may even allege that Tamaki and Kyoya have escaped from reality all together! A little bit of study will prepare you for everything that happens after class.
1) What you do with this cosplay depends on whether you’re trying to portray a male or a female student. Female students at Ouran seem to fawn quite a bit. In fact, this is almost in their nature. A little practice should help you get this down easily.
2) The female uniform is somewhat unique, and consists of a yellow dress. You might have something like this already in your wardrobe. Otherwise, some cosplay retailers actually carry a specific version of it.
3) A white frilly garment is worn underneath the yellow dress, presumably to preserve what little modesty members of the Ouran High School Host Club have. Believe it or not, their manner of dress is rather demure.
4) As one might expect with anime character outfits, the cuffs are almost ridiculously oversized on these dresses. You might have to fold them over to get the same effect, depending in part on how long your arms are.
5) Male uniforms are rather different, and the blue jackets have become something of a commodity on the commercial cosplayer’s market. This gives people the opportunity to acquire one with relative ease.
6) Ouran’s crest is over the left breast on the male uniform. This can be made from cloth if your costume didn’t have one previously, though it could be hard to precisely match the typeface that the letters “OR” are displayed in.
7) The ties that male students wear have a unique pattern, and some fans have been able to secure a number of them. They’re generally black, but have a bit of purple piping that runs through them. That’s not something that you see every day.
8) As for the undershirt, any regular button down white dress shirt will probably do. After all, this is at least supposed to be a regular private academy for those who are gifted with a great deal of material wealth.
9) Shoes could be a problem, but they might not with a bit of planning. Female students at Ouran wear a pair of decent dress shoes. They’re fairly open with a light heel that’s rather thick. You might have something in your closet that matches.
10) People cosplaying as male Ouran students might actually have an easier go of it. Regular dark dress shoes are a staple for men, so if you don’t have a pair there’s a good chance that at least someone in your family does. That can make finding a pair a lot easier.
11) If you’re trying to cosplay as an original character, you might want to take a little time to actually come up with a back-story. This is actually pretty important to a lot of people, and some convention-goers might actually ask about this.
12) The female costume comes with a red ribbon tied around the neck. Loosening this a little might make it more comfortable for some people, and that shouldn’t mess with the illusion too much.
13) Since the female uniform can be a bit awkward at times, you should probably try to practice walking in it before you give it a try at a convention. This advice could actually apply to just about every cosplay you’ve ever wanted to try.
14) If you’re trying to be an original character, you might also want to find some quirk or accessory that helps you to stand out from the rest of the class so to speak. This is less of an issue if you’re playing as a canon character from the series.
15) While people at the Ouran High School might seem to be crazy, there is a method to their madness. Careful observation of the character’s behavior in the anime, manga and across numerous licensed goods should help you to understand what’s going on.